What 10 Years CrossFit Strong Really Means...
Ten years ago we took a leap of faith.
FirePower CrossFit opened for business on June 1st, 2008 on Main Street in Milton. A handful of early-adopters came through the doors and many tire kickers came to see this CrossFit-thing they kept hearing about. We were about box number 250 to join as an affiliate. Today there are over 13,000 CrossFit gyms worldwide.
Few knew at the time what they were really getting into.
In the early days our coaching staff of Travis, Brian, Chris, Dan, Kim, Mark, Heather & George were mostly 911's and they used CrossFit training to perform their police & fire fighter duties safely and confidently. Our coaches were our most elite athletes at the time, and many thought that CrossFit was just for the elite, 911’s, or simply crazy people.
But it was fun. It was different. And new customers were intrigued. Most were surprised when they walked in the doors - no glitz, no glam, no mirrors, and no a/c. Then they got the sticker shock of the price. "You want me to pay what??"
"Yes, we do. And here's why..."
A decade has passed and most of our original coaching staff are still part of the team today. That is almost unheard of in the fitness industry. Typically coaching staff come and go in short spurts. And a large number of original members are also still here today as well after almost a decade.
While CrossFit is known for producing strong, fit people, there’s something magical about being part of a CrossFit community that goes way beyond the workouts.
- Men and women discovered a new level of self-confidence; as parents, in the workplace, and in themselves. We see them standing taller, holding their heads higher, and finding an encouraging, supportive side of themselves they didn’t know existed.
- Many found their life partner in the community and brought new life into the world as a result. These babies are now joining the FirePower Kids program.
- Some found fitness in their 40’s and 50’s that they never knew growing up.
- Many have turned their health metrics around at their doctor’s offices and got off medications.
- They’ve developed a village-approach and tribe mentality around raising all our children. Taking responsibility and leading by example for their children and others’ children in the community
- Couples found a new level of relationship, developed a fitness hobby together and reconnected in a passionate and fun way.
- As jobs and careers changed, lay-offs, etc., people found a safe place to simply ‘be’…to feel connected, welcomed, and encouraged in difficult times.
Over 10 years, members & coaches have had to learn how to manage their aging bodies; to dig for courage to restart time and time again after injury or time away; and stay humble as younger athletes join and surpass wod scores and times.
And we’ve all found a place to call home. To accept each other and be accepted despite all our quirkiness and differing personalities. We love hard and give love equally hard.
That’s what it means to be #10YearsCrossFitStrong.
On Friday June 1st, we will be doing a special 10 year tribute wod all day in each class. And in support of it, we are asking for a small donation to support SickKids Hospital.
Thank you for accepting us and supporting us from years 1 thru 10, wherever you are on your journey.
We are honoured to be part of it!
George, Andrea & the entire FirePower Community
P.S. Join our friends at FirePower Kids this Sunday for their 5th anniversary celebration as well. All are welcome!