CrossFit’s main goal is to improve an athlete’s General Physical Preparedness (GPP). How is this measured?
One standard that CrossFit uses is the 10 General Physical Skills:
- Cardiovascular/respiratory endurance: The ability of body systems to gather, process, and deliver oxygen.
- Stamina: The ability of body systems to process, deliver, store, and utilize energy.
- Strength: The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply force.
- Flexibility: the ability to maximize the range of motion at a given joint
- Power: The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply maximum force in minimum time.
- Speed: The ability to minimize the time cycle of a repeated movement.
- Coordination: The ability to combine several distinct movement patterns into a singular distinct movement.
- Agility: The ability to minimize transition time from one movement pattern to another.
- Balance: The ability to control the placement of the bodies center of gravity in relation to its support base.
- Accuracy: The ability to control movement in a given direction or at a given intensity.
At Reebok CrossFit FirePower we try to hit all of these physical skills. By finding our weaknesses, it allows us to shift our focus towards our weaknesses and in turn make greater gains in a shorter amount of time.