The time has come…The 2014 CrossFit Games start this week. For CrossFitters, this time of year is more anticipated than Christmas! Its the beginning of the competition season; it’s the time to see your performance improvement vs year ago; its a time to strengthen our community; its a time to cheer on your fellow classmates and celebrate THEIR achievements.
“Regardless of where we fall with our goals during the Open we should all have a common thread. To be a part of the CrossFit community. To motivate, support and drive those around us to be the best that THEY can be.” —Chris Spealler.
Haven’t signed up yet? Get off the fence! It’s a whopping $20 to be part of the 5 week fun. Gonna miss one week because of travel? Who cares! Get it in at a local box where you are traveling or skip that week. It’s not the end of the world. But don’t let that 1 missed week take you out of the fun for the remaining 4 weeks.
Are you new to CrossFit and don’t think you can do ‘all the moves’? Many of our athletes get their first pullup or toes to bar etc during these Games. All you need is 1 rep in the workout to get on the scoreboard! Then wait until next week and hopefully something that you are good at show up in the wod!
Here’s some incentive: Out of all RCFP members who register for the 2014 CrossFit Games, 1 name will be randomly drawn for a 1 month free membership! To register, go to games.crossfit.com and create an account before Sunday. Then join our affiliate “CrossFit Reebok FirePower”.
SO, HOW DOES THIS ALL WORK???
- Every Thursday at 8pm EST on games.crossfit.com CrossFit HQ will announce via web cast what the workout will be for week 1. The workout will be named 14.1 (for the year 2014, week 1). This is a cool online event to watch! Next week will be names 14.2 and so on.
- FirePower is hosting the games every FRIDAY. This means that every class on Fridays will be doing the games event as the daily wod whether you are participating in the online games or not. Classes will include 6am/9:30am/12pm/1:30pm/3:30pm. NOTE the KettleBell class will be changed to a Games Wod time for the 5 weeks. There will be adequate judges for each class because everyone must perform the workout under the guidance and sign-off of a judge. There will be no official ‘classes’ after 4:30pm including no mobility classes for the 5 weeks. See next point.
- Between 4:30 and 8:30pm, all members and their families are invited to our Friday Night Lights event. There will be constant heats of athletes performing their wod with a judge. Feel free to bring a potluck appetizer and BYOB. We will have coffee available. FirePower Kids is also has fun fitness options for the kids. Check them out!
- When you arrive late afternoon or evening, you can sign-up for a heat time of your choice. We aren’t posting heat options online beforehand due to the short turnaround time from wod release. You can call us during after 12noon to sign-up a timeslot in a heat or simple first come first serve.
- We are fortunate to have Cogeco TV back in to film the 5 week series for the 4th year in a row. They will be filming heats between 5:30pm and 6:30pm. These will be pre-set heats and will be VERY exciting this year…Coach Mitch and his Cogeco producers have planned some wicked head-to-head competitions of all skill levels. Come show these guys your support and show the town of Milton how crazy our community is for our athletes!
- Can’t fit in your games workout on Friday? Not a problem. Simply ask a trainer to help you during an open gym time on Saturday or Sunday.
- Once your workout is completed, YOU must enter your score online into your games.crossfit.com account. MUST be done no later than noon on the following MONDAY.
So there you have it…The Games in a nutshell. Whether or not you decide to participate, PLEASE come out on Friday nights to support your fellow members. You just may be the difference in someone’s performance…